I’ll go ahead and say it: fall is the best time of year. I love summer wholeheartedly but after three months of scorching weather in the Mid-Atlantic, it’s easy to yearn for cooler temps and relief from the overbearing humidity. Plus all the best things happen in the fall: the return of pumpkin spice lattes, fall candles, Halloween and Thanksgiving, and, of course, family fun at Baugher’s Orchard and Farm.
This time last year I was hugely pregnant and dreaming about all the fun fall things we could do as a family. One of our very favorite traditions is visiting Baugher’s Orchards and Farm for apple and pumpkin picking. I’m not sure how we found them back in 2013 when we first moved out to Maryland, but I’m glad we did. Situated about an hour away from Annapolis in Westminster, Baugher’s is worth the drive.
The farm has pick-your-own down to a science which makes the whole experience easy and painless. We love visiting them in the summer for strawberries and peaches, but it’s easy to see why fall is the best time to make the trip. We visited in early September to catch Honeycrisp apples, but there’s nothing quite like taking your nearly one-year-old to her first pumpkin patch. I almost can’t handle the cuteness.
Aside from pick-your-own which always includes a fun wagon ride out the field, Baugher’s has a large market on site with tons of produce and other goods. Most items are sourced in-house, but they do bring in other local products as well. We always love picking up farm-fresh eggs and homemade cider any time we visit. For older kids, Baugher’s has a playground and a lovely petting zoo with lambs, goats, donkeys, chickens, rabbits, pigs, turkeys, and chickens. There is also a small concession stand selling fresh bakery and cider drinks. New this year for the fall season, Baugher’s is hosting live music and food trucks every weekend. This is an excellent addition to the experience.
Tips and Tricks:
- Call ahead. We always start the day by calling their pick-your-own hotline. Just to double-check to make sure the farm is open and to see what’s available that day. The number is (410) 857-0111.
- Visit as early as you can. There is ample parking but as the lots fill up you’ll be forced to park farther and farther away. Also, the lines for pumpkin and apple picking get very long. We try to get to the farm within an hour of opening. We also like to visit early in October so pumpkins and apples overlap.
- Bring water. Even though it’s fall, Maryland is always hotter than you’d think. There is very little shade in the orchard or pumpkin patch.
- Plan to carry your little ones. The orchards and fields are not stroller-friendly. They do have stroller parking where the hayrides start and end. We’ve always either carried our daughter or put her in the Ergo when out in the field.
- Make a day of it in Westminster. Main street Westminster is absolutely adorable and home to tons of cafes, coffee shops, and boutiques. There are also plenty of wineries in the area including Old Westminster Winery that has excellent food and a large grassy area that’s kid-friendly. Reservations are recommended on weekends.
2 thoughts on “Fall Fun at Baugher’s Orchard and Farm”
I have to agree with you, Kristen – autumn is beautiful and who doesn’t enjoy observing the leaves from the trees and plants changing into multi-coloured works of art before finally falling away? 🙂